Oddworld Inhabitants have announced that Abe will be returning to our consoles in a brand new adventure, titled Oddworld: Soulstorm which is due out next year.
Soulstorm will act as a sequel to Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty, and will follow the same story arc — the origins of Abe and the repercussions of the overthrowing of RuptureFarms. A brief synopsis reads:
“Having defeated Molluck The Glukkon, his former boss and RuptureFarms’ meanest inhabitant, Abe soon finds himself – along with 300 newly emancipated Mudokons – without food, water or a place to call home. Stranded alone in the desert, they find solace in a strange new brew – a delicious drink that has insidious ramifications for their newfound freedom.”
Below are the new features that will be coming to Soulstorm, found on the game’s official website.
- Witness Abe’s horrifying conflict with a terrifying new machination.
- A fresh narrative – a complete story retake inspired by our original tale.
- A big visual and cinematic leap aiming to break new ground for Oddworld.
- Intelligent new mechanics, twisted new devices enabling highly explosive deviousness.
- A dark parable that tells an epic tale of a volatile society pushed to its limits.
“There was a deeper, darker, and more sinister story that we never got to tell,” says series creator Lorne Lanning. “Soulstorm gives us the opportunity to flesh out more meat on the bones of an original spine, but re-tell the fable from a very different angle. Abe has a long way to go and plenty more adversity ahead. Soulstorm is going to be a much heavier trip for him.”
Oddworld: Soulstorm is due for release in the latter half of 2017.