With the Ashes Cricket game on hold for a little while, and the Ashes retained courtesy of the glorious Lancashire rain, HES and Big Ant Studios have today given cricket fans a reason to get excited with the announcement of a brand new cricket IP for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC.
Forget about your Alastair Cooks and Michael Clarkes – the best cricketer to hold a bat was the Don – legendary Aussie Donald Bradman, the swashbuckling scourge of the cricketing world who averaged a staggering 99+ and routinely tore apart any bowling attack who dared to send the cherry in his direction.
Don Bradman Cricket 14 – as a tie in, you don’t get much better. And it takes some real guts to put the great man’s name to a videogame unless it is going to be incredible, right? Sebastian Giompaolo of HES is confident that the game will match the billing:
“It is indeed an honour to be able to bring the greatest player to a technology savvy generation of fans in what promises to be the greatest cricket game of all time. Big Ant Studios have been working hard on this title for four years and we at HES are really excited with what they have been able to achieve. It is far superior to any cricket game in the market.”
What does Bradman Cricket do, though? We have been given the following impressive roll call of features:
– Career Mode, allowing you to take control of an aspiring young cricketer and take him through the ranks to International glory.
– Unique Batting and Bowling Controls, giving full 360 Shot control and Line and Length delivery without pitch markers.
– A fully featured fielding system that allows you to run down the ball and slide to prevent a Four, catch a high ball on the boundary rope, or knock down the stumps to take a vital run out. You are always involved in the play at every stage of the game!
– Ball Physics giving realistic Edges, bat pad catches and movement off the pitch.
– A complete player physics system with individual attributes including weight and height – imagine running in a 2 metre bowler to deliver that perfect bouncer!
– Appeal and Electronic Review system allowing for the first time challenges of the umpires decision.
– Practice Nets, Hone your skills to perfection before taking to the field.
– Dynamic time of day, Weather System and Pitch Degradation that are based on real world data with effects occurring in real-time throughout a days’ play.
– The Cricket Academy, allowing for unparalleled customisation of your Cricket experience, creating Teams, players, Tours, Competitions, Match Types and even Umpires.
– More than 4000 Community created Players and teams ready to download and use in game.
– An online Save system that lets you continue your match whenever you want with online opponents.
It all sounds very exciting, and looks ace too – we are loving the shot of a virtual Bradman playing a perfect drive, clad in the spotless, sponsor-free whites of his era. Let’s hope that some legendary England greats like Denis Compton are similarly well-represented.