As of today you can now play Samurai Shodown on consoles. In the Samurai Showdown “reboot” you can expect to see 13 old favourites from the franchise as well as 3 brand new characters, with more characters on the way as part of the Season Pass, some competitive in-game modes as well as an improved Dojo Mode.
On top of that you’ll also find the follow modes ready and waiting for you:
- Practice Mode: Players can learn the ropes in a tutorial and hone their skills in training mode.
- Online Mode: Friends and foes alike can battle online in a variety of competitive modes.
- Story Mode: Players can witness each character’s unique journey through 18th century Edo-period Japan as a new disaster threat looms over the land.
- Battle Mode: Host to a variety of challenges including Versus, Time Trial, Survival and Gauntlet modes, players looking to test their skills will be pushed to the limit here.
- Dojo Mode: After enough matches have been played, players can compete against their own ghost, other players’ ghosts, and then share their ghost data to online leaderboards
If you’re interested in the Season Pass you can get this for free if you pick up a copy of Samurai Shodown before June 30th. The DLC fighters have already been announced and will release in the following order: Rimururu, Basara, Kazuki Kazama and Wan-Fu.
SNK have also announced that Samurai Shodown will be included at the Evolution Championship Series. So keep an eye out for that if you fancy seeing it in action at EVO.
“We have been overwhelmed by the positivity of our fans over the past several months and would like to thank each and every one of them for making the return of the franchise come to fruition,” said SNK Lead Producer, Yasuyuki Oda. “Further to today’s launch on Xbox One and PlayStation 4, we’re now looking forward to being part of the Evolution Championship series this August and we could not be happier to be part of one the biggest competitive fighting game events in the world. Please expect to hear more from us in the coming months regarding our future plans for esports and Samurai Shodown!”
If all that info wasn’t enough for you there’s also a launch trailer for you to enjoy right here.