The wait is finally over, as Game Freak‘s anticipated RPG Pokémon titles, Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield have launched today on Nintendo Switch. We’re excited to see just what the game has in store. However, our review of the game is still in progress here at GodisaGeek due to no early review code. To remind you what’s in store if you’re considering picking the game up this weekend, check out the official blurb below:
- A New Region to Explore—Dive into the Galar region for the first time! Trainers can explore a region with an idyllic countryside, contemporary cities, thick forests, and craggy, snow-covered mountains.
- The Dynamax and Gigantamax Phenomenon—In the Galar region, Pokémon can Dynamax, taking on gigantic appearances during battle. When Pokémon Dynamax, their power is boosted and they become much more difficult to catch—and to take down. In very rare occurrences, some Pokémon can go one step further by Gigantamaxing. When Pokémon Gigantamax, they not only become bigger but also alter their appearance and use powerful G-Max Moves that regular Dynamax Pokémon cannot use.
- Traverse the Wild Area—The Wild Area is a vast expanse of untamed wilderness in the Galar region that stretches between the region’s different towns and cities. Here, Trainers will find a wide variety of wild Pokémon to battle and catch. The types of Pokémon that can be found in the Wild Area and the situations in which Trainers can battle them can even change depending on in-game weather conditions.
- Team Up for Max Raid Battles—While battling Pokémon in the Wild Area, Trainers can take part in a new battle format called Max Raid Battles. These are epic multiplayer battles in which up to four Trainers band together to catch a wild Dynamax Pokémon.
- Three New First Partner Pokémon—Get to know one of three first partner Pokémon: the Grass-type Chimp Pokémon Grookey, the Fire-type Rabbit Pokémon Scorbunny, or the Water-type Water Lizard Pokémon Sobble.
- A Myriad of New Pokémon to Discover—The Galar region is host to its own unique Pokémon ecology, from the Sheep Pokémon, Wooloo, which provides the wool for goods in Galar, to the Grass-type Flowering Pokémon, Gossifleur, which has pollen that is used in medicine, to many Galarian forms of beloved Pokémon from other regions!
- New Legendary Pokémon—The Galar region is home to two mysterious Legendary Pokémon: Zacian and Zamazenta. Zacian holds a sword in its mouth and attacks with grace, while Zamazenta’s shield-covered body turns back most attacks and its regal movements overwhelm opponents.
- Relax Using Pokémon Camp—There are ways to train and increase the bond with a Pokémon beyond battles. Trainers can set up camp almost anywhere to have fun with their Pokémon. Trainers can play with them using a variety of toys, cook and enjoy different curries together (a popular dish in the region), and even visit other players’ camps.
Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield are out now for Nintendo Switch.