The Interactive Achievement Awards – Who Were The Big Winners?
The Oscars of the gaming industry were handed out yesterday and several games dominated proceedings. The Interactive Achievement Awards, which are hosted by the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences – an organisation dedicated to the advancement and recognition of the interactive arts – were presented for 2010 and there was one game in particular which was the outstanding runaway success of the night. Which game was it?
Red Dead Redemption from Rockstar Games stole the show by winning an amazing five awards in total, including best action game, but – not to be outdone – Bioware’s megahit Mass Effect 2 took home the big one and was awarded the Game of the Year crown. Other multiple award-winning games were crime thriler Heavy Rain, years-in-the-making behemoth StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty and Xbox LIVE Arcade adventure Limbo.
The full list of winners follows:
- Action Game of the Year: Red Dead Redemption
- Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction: Red Dead Redemption
- Outstanding Achievement in Gameplay Engineering: Red Dead Redemption
- Outstanding Character Performance: Red Dead Redemption
- Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction: Red Dead Redemption
- Role Playing / MMO Game of the Year: Mass Effect 2
- Game of the Year: Mass Effect 2
- Outstanding Achievement in Story: Mass Effect 2
- Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering: Heavy Rain
- Outstanding Innovation in Gaming: Heavy Rain
- Outstanding Achievement in Original Music: Heavy Rain
- Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year: Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
- Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay: Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
- Adventure Game of the Year: Limbo
- Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design: Limbo
- Family Game of the Year: Dance Central
- Racing Game of the Year: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
- Sports Game of the Year: FIFA 2011
- Fighting Game of the Year: Super Street Fighter IV
- Portable Game of the Year: God of War: Ghost of Sparta
- Casual Game of the Year: Angry Birds HD
- Social Game of the Year: CityVille
- Outstanding Achievement in Animation: God of War III
- Outstanding Achievement in Soundtrack: Rock Band 3
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Bing Gordon
- Pioneer Award: Bill Budge
For reviews of the winning titles, click the following links: Mass Effect 2, Read Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain and StarCraft 2. Check out our reviews section for more of the winning titles from the ceremony this year.